|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:01 am
This is the 41st anniversary of Mt. Saint Helens in Washington state erupting. I remember that day vividly. It was 8:30 AM on a Sunday. I had a busy weekend with double shifts and partying with friends. I was looking forward to sleeping in. When this loud roaring noise woke me up I figured it was the local naval air station jets flying low over head. It never occurred to me it was a volcano erupting. Over the next few days the sky was grey like smoke from a forest fire. Everywhere was grey from the ash ranging from inches to FEET. My husband was camping with his boy scout troop and helped look for survivors.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:13 pm
I didn't even know we had a volcano in the US! Wow.
We've gone through multiple hurricanes/torandos over here on the east coast. But thankfully have always been good.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:47 pm
I’ve survived 2 floods, 2 house fires and several tornadoes. (Viewed 1 on the ground).
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Thu May 20, 2021 6:32 am
Esme Marie Cullen I’ve survived 2 floods, 2 house fires and several tornadoes. (Viewed 1 on the ground). Wow, you have had an exciting life. I have been through two floods, volcanic eruption, one house fire, several earthquakes and hurricane Hugo in North Carolina
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Thu May 20, 2021 6:41 am
mama_bearr Esme Marie Cullen I’ve survived 2 floods, 2 house fires and several tornadoes. (Viewed 1 on the ground). Wow, you have had an exciting life. I have been through two floods, volcanic eruption, one house fire, several earthquakes and hurricane Hugo in North Carolina Oh my! Was the volcanic eruption 🌋 in WA, 47 years ago? I know that scientists can now estimate future activity of volcanoes. Do they believe another eruption will occur? When? How severe?
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Thu May 20, 2021 6:48 am
Esme Marie Cullen mama_bearr Esme Marie Cullen I’ve survived 2 floods, 2 house fires and several tornadoes. (Viewed 1 on the ground). Wow, you have had an exciting life. I have been through two floods, volcanic eruption, one house fire, several earthquakes and hurricane Hugo in North Carolina Oh my! Was the volcanic eruption 🌋 in WA, 47 years ago? I know that scientists can now estimate future activity of volcanoes. Do they believe another eruption will occur? When? How severe? The volcano was Mt Saint Helens in the southern part of WA state 41 years ago. I was a Senior in high school and had just finished a double shift at work and partied with friend till 2 AM. I was annoyed to be awakened by this loud roaring noise and the room shaking. My boyfriend at the time got a job dredging out the Tuttle river which had gotten clogged by the log jams. I was up there about ten years ago. Most of the mountain has regrown with wildlife and foliage but there is still one area that looks like a moonscape. Everything is grey and all of the trees are sand blasted smooth. Very surreal looking
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:02 am
mama_bearr Esme Marie Cullen mama_bearr Esme Marie Cullen I’ve survived 2 floods, 2 house fires and several tornadoes. (Viewed 1 on the ground). Wow, you have had an exciting life. I have been through two floods, volcanic eruption, one house fire, several earthquakes and hurricane Hugo in North Carolina Oh my! Was the volcanic eruption 🌋 in WA, 47 years ago? I know that scientists can now estimate future activity of volcanoes. Do they believe another eruption will occur? When? How severe? The volcano was Mt Saint Helens in the southern part of WA state 41 years ago. I was a Senior in high school and had just finished a double shift at work and partied with friend till 2 AM. I was annoyed to be awakened by this loud roaring noise and the room shaking. My boyfriend at the time got a job dredging out the Tuttle river which had gotten clogged by the log jams. I was up there about ten years ago. Most of the mountain has regrown with wildlife and foliage but there is still one area that looks like a moonscape. Everything is grey and all of the trees are sand blasted smooth. Very surreal looking They say the lava provides nutrients to create a lush bed of growth. Was the loud noise the spewing lava? I’ve never neared a volcano. My daughter hiked Mt. Etna in Italy. Friends hiked Kilauea in Hawaii.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:12 am
I googled will it erupt again:
However, experts believe there may be a wait before the next eruption, with it exploding every 100-300 years on average, according to Dr Mike Garcia of the Hawaii Institute of Geophysics and Planetology. He said: "Yes, it is extremely likely that Mt St Helens will erupt again.May 18, 2020
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:13 am
Esme Marie Cullen mama_bearr Esme Marie Cullen mama_bearr Esme Marie Cullen I’ve survived 2 floods, 2 house fires and several tornadoes. (Viewed 1 on the ground). Wow, you have had an exciting life. I have been through two floods, volcanic eruption, one house fire, several earthquakes and hurricane Hugo in North Carolina Oh my! Was the volcanic eruption 🌋 in WA, 47 years ago? I know that scientists can now estimate future activity of volcanoes. Do they believe another eruption will occur? When? How severe? The volcano was Mt Saint Helens in the southern part of WA state 41 years ago. I was a Senior in high school and had just finished a double shift at work and partied with friend till 2 AM. I was annoyed to be awakened by this loud roaring noise and the room shaking. My boyfriend at the time got a job dredging out the Tuttle river which had gotten clogged by the log jams. I was up there about ten years ago. Most of the mountain has regrown with wildlife and foliage but there is still one area that looks like a moonscape. Everything is grey and all of the trees are sand blasted smooth. Very surreal looking They say the lava provides nutrients to create a lush bed of growth. Was the loud noise the spewing lava? I’ve never neared a volcano. My daughter hiked Mt. Etna in Italy. Friends hiked Kilauea in Hawaii. Lave is fairly quiet. The noise was the explosion. It blew 1700 feet off the top of the mountain. There are 5 semi active volcanos in WA state. If you fly over Mt. Baker you can see steam escaping
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:19 am
Esme Marie Cullen I googled will it erupt again: However, experts believe there may be a wait before the next eruption, with it exploding every 100-300 years on average, according to Dr Mike Garcia of the Hawaii Institute of Geophysics and Planetology. He said: "Yes, it is extremely likely that Mt St Helens will erupt again.May 18, 2020 There is a chance that any of the mountains can blow. Lucky when St Helens blew the winds were blowing to the east so we didn't get as much of the ash as other areas. If Mt. Baker blows it will be much worse. Scientists keep a close eye on all of the mountains. This is an earthquake zone. We get small quakes regularly and large quakes every 30 years or so
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:14 am
Syd_Sage I didn't even know we had a volcano in the US! Wow. We've gone through multiple hurricanes/torandos over here on the east coast. But thankfully have always been good. I was visiting friends in N. Carolina just in time for hurricane Hugo. It went right over the top of us then the sun cam out and was a beautiful day...oh, crap...it was the eye of the hurricane. Back inside!
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:22 am
mama_bearr Syd_Sage I didn't even know we had a volcano in the US! Wow. We've gone through multiple hurricanes/torandos over here on the east coast. But thankfully have always been good. I was visiting friends in N. Carolina just in time for hurricane Hugo. It went right over the top of us then the sun cam out and was a beautiful day...oh, crap...it was the eye of the hurricane. Back inside! I don’t envy you the hurricanes. I thought a monsoon was scary enough. What did I do on vacation? Disney World with pelting rain! I saw a hurricane/cyclone on the horizon during a cruise. I became paranoid until assured we weren’t going to meet.
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Posted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:31 am
Esme Marie Cullen mama_bearr Syd_Sage I didn't even know we had a volcano in the US! Wow. We've gone through multiple hurricanes/torandos over here on the east coast. But thankfully have always been good. I was visiting friends in N. Carolina just in time for hurricane Hugo. It went right over the top of us then the sun cam out and was a beautiful day...oh, crap...it was the eye of the hurricane. Back inside! I don’t envy you the hurricanes. I thought a monsoon was scary enough. What did I do on vacation? Disney World with pelting rain! I saw a hurricane/cyclone on the horizon during a cruise. I became paranoid until assured we weren’t going to meet. The hurricane was a crazy time. No power so all of the stores were giving away all of the meat. Everyone had their BBQ grills out and groups of guys drove around with chainsaws helping people remove downed trees. We were lucky. The house that we were in was spared but the house across the street had nothing left but the foundation and a toilet. The lady next door was on well water so she let us use her hose through our bathroom window for showers and flushing the toilet. Our gas stove still worked so we traded her water for hot meals. Hugo is also how we got our Son. Too noisy to sleep, too dark to read, so...9 months later Richard was born. Our friends still call him little Hugo. lol
|
 |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|